Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Case of my missing census forms

"Your response to the U.S. Census Bureau if required by law."

Uh, oh.

The plain white postcard was in the junk mail I picked up Tuesday.

"Dear Resident: A few days ago, you should have received ... "

Yikes!

What did I do with that thing?

It's the first time, as a two-time homeowner, I can ever remember getting one.

I'm thinking, if I don't fill it out, what kind of trouble could I get into?

Jail?

It's not like I haven't had a few more important things on my mind lately.

Like getting married Easter weekend.

So where was it?

We searched and searched and searched. The kitchen, the bedroom, the dining room, you name it.

Finally, the packet turned up.

Under a stack of newspapers in the recycling bin in the garage.

Whew!

After I slit open the official envelope, I got a small lesson in civics:

"Census results are used to decide ... the amount of government money your neighborhood receives. ... Money used for services for children and the elderly, roads, and many other local needs."

Not sure whether I believe it, but given our current economic state I'll do my part and fill out the forms.

Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment