Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summer heat, humidity transplant's penance

How are you holding up in this heat? a friend's email began.

Fine, I wrote back.

After 40 years living in Florida I've gotten used to our summer heat and humidity for the most  part.

Doesn't mean I like it, but I am used to it.

You won't find me out in it very long, is all.

The only time that happens nowadays is when yours truly is doing yardwork.

Wore a broad-brimmed hat, a long sleeve shirt and drank plenty of water late last Sunday morning edging and trimming for a couple of hours before jumping into the pool.

Then I cut the grass Wednesday evening after dinner, took a long shower and I'm still sweating.

It's worth it, getting that chore out of the way, humidity or no.

Which reminds me of something a former colleague, a fellow Yankee transplant, once said about dealing with Florida summers in the proper frame of mind:

"This is our penance for not having to shovel snow."

Amen, brother. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment