Monday, August 29, 2011

Family shoe was on other foot during Irene

What a weird feeling it was, following Hurricane Irene.

Usually, it'd be my siblings up in South Jersey calling me to find out how I was doing.

This time it was the other way around.

Late last week as Irene churned north, I called my sister Jeanne and brothers Joey and Jimmy, trying to give them encouragment and tips about being prepared.

Given what Floridians have been through the past seven years, we know a thing or two about hurricanes, right?

I also told my sibs chances were the hurricane would lose its steam by the time it arrived.

After years of hearing how our warm tropical waters are "fuel" for hurricanes' engines, I knew that wouldn't be the case when Irene chugged into the Atlantic's colder waters off the coasts of Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey.

Hey, I'm no meteorologist, but it makes sense to me.

I also told them to be more concerned about losing power and flooding.

South Jersey had already experienced a record month for rainfall.

Anyway, they made it through Irene OK, thank goodness.

Now you and I are keeping a cautious eye on the horizon for Tropical Depression 12, which looks like it'll be Hurricane Katia before long.

The family shoe is back on the other foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment