Monday, September 20, 2010

False starts don't derail Sunday NFL TV

So there I was Sunday at the Holiday Inn Express near SRQ.

My wife had just dropped me off and it was about 10 minutes before kickoff of the NFL's 1 p.m. games.

I had my Eagles jersey and visor on, but nowhere to go.

The hotel's Sporting News bar, a favorite of mine on football Sundays, was crowded and it seemed like every game was on, but the one I wanted to see: Eagles vs. Lions.

I'd gotten there a tad too late.

Sorry, bar manager Mike Smith said.

I walked out in the parking lot and called Sherri.

Got shut out, I told her. Would you come get me?

Sherri was at the intersection of US 301 and Tallevast, almost home.

OK, she said, let me turn around and I'll be there in a minute.

There's another joint on Lockwood Ridge I figured I'd try.

Just then I heard someone yell my name.

They'd freed up one TV.

Great, I said. Except I had to call my wife.

"I'm back in the game," I said. "They got a TV for me."

Sherri was sooooo happy to hear that.

She had just turned around after going through the intersection at US 301 and was waiting at the same light, headed in the opposite direction to pick me up.

Sorry about that, sweetheart.

Sherri turned around once more, made it home and watched the Bucs win.

I got a seat at The Sporting News and watched the Eagles win.

Turned out to be a good Sunday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment