Thursday, August 19, 2010

Char-O-Lot Ranch a corner of paradise

One of my favorite drives is heading east on State Road 70, past Lakewood Ranch and out toward Myakka City.

God's Country.

I love the spread out ranches, the old Florida growth, the cattle and the horses.

Beautiful horses.

Which I always saw passing by Char-O-Lot Ranch on the south side of the roadway.

I can't remember the names of the other ranches along SR 70 in east Manatee County at the moment, but I can't forget Char-O-Lot.

Especially now that its owner, Doug Schembri, a renowned breeder and trainer, passed Tuesday at 61.

I did not know him, but I admire what he and wife Sue did, the kind of man he must've been.

Respected by his peers. Loved by his family.

I have to believe those horses he raised, the Quarterhorses, Appaloosas and Paints, loved him, too.

Even from a glance while driving by, Char-O-Lot Ranch emanated peace and tranquility.

It must've been like a little bit of heaven.

God speed, Doug Schembri. God speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment