What do Giancarlo Gamboa-Barrios, Lisbeth Gorgonio, Scarlett O’Hara, Kevin Townsend and Alexander Turner have in common?
They're the five Manatee District Take Stock In Children scholars, who were honored before last Saturday night's Tampa Bay Rays game at the Trop, along with their mentors and
That winning lineup included:
• Giancarlo Gamboa-Barrios, a Nolan Middle eighth-grader, with mentor Rob Hendrickson.
• Lisbeth Gorgonio, a Harllee Middle eighth-grader, with mentor Robin Thompson.
• Scarlett O’Hara, a Nolan Middle eighth-grader, with mentor Violet Huesman.
• Kevin Townsend, a Sugg Middle eighth-grader, with mentor Dr. Dwight Fitch.
• Alexander Turner, a Nolan Middle eighth-grader, with mentor Dr. Chuck Fradley
The students are recipients of the partnership between The Rays Baseball Foundation, the Helios Education Foundation and Take Stock in Children. The initiative – “Doubling Up for Education” – results in a $600 donation being made by the Helios Foundation and the Rays Foundation every time a Rays player hits a double during the season.
This partnership is expected to produce a cash total of approximately $200,000 for Take Stock in Children during the 2013 season and more than $1 million over the past five years.
The funds help Take Stock in Children programs in Manatee, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Sarasota and Pasco counties.