Monday, August 19, 2013

Lakewood Ranch senior's Ireland trip a 4-H winner

A bow to Katie Ciemniecki.
Late last month, the Lakewood Ranch High School senior took first place in the Leisure and Performing Arts category of the Florida 4-H State Congress in Gainesville.
Her presentation was surely to be a winner.
Its title: “My Trip to Ireland.”
Having been there a few times, I was fascinated by the account of her weeklong journey, which she took during the summer of 2012 with her mother, sister and maternal grandmother.
Here it is:
"We flew into Shannon Airport. I was amazed at how beautiful and green everything was. We rented a car and headed towards Limerick (and) it was so funny to see everyone driving on the left side of the road. We explored the scenic views in Limerick and stayed in a town called Adare, where there were lots of little shops and parks.
"Out of all the places we ate my favorite as Sean’s Pub, but the medieval banquet was a close second. Actors dressed in medieval clothes entertained us with traditional Irish songs while we ate in a castle.
"The Cliffs of Moher were breathtaking.. Mom and I hiked all the way to the end of the cliffs and laid down in the soft grass just listening to the waves crash and the gulls sing.
"Kissing the Blarney stone was an adventure all on its own. I had to lie down on my back to kiss the stone that supposedly brings luck and riches to those who kiss it.
"On our last day we went to a traditional Irish heritage center where we watched performances of Irish songs, poems, dancing and music. I was chosen to learn an Irish dance and performed in front of everyone with the band playing.
"We had to leave the next day, but I am so thankful I was able to have this wonderful experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment