Monday, December 12, 2011

Ban on texting drivers makes sense

Texting while driving?

That some of our state lawmakers are talking about coming up with a ban on the practice makes sense to me.

I have difficulty answering my cellphone while I'm driving without being distracted.

I don't know how other motorists can keep their minds on the road and text at the same time.

I wouldn't even try.

Too dangerous.

The debate is whether the proposed ban would make roads safer --- and if it's an intrusion on our personal liberty.

I vote yes on the first part.

I've had people bump into me at the supermarket and step on me at outdoor concerts because they were so engrossed with their texting.

I shudder to think about what could happen when they're behind the wheel.

Which brings me to the other point:

As for it being an intrusion on one's personal liberty?

Tough.

I know when I'm driving along US 301 and I see the driver next to me texting, I want to put as much distance between us ASAP.

I don't want that driver intruding on my space while he's paying more attention to texting than driving.

Florida is one of 15 states without a ban on texting while driving, even though more people admit to the habit and support a law that would deter it.

Thirty-five states have texting bans on all drivers. Other states have added restrictions for groups, such as bus drivers and teens.

Florida has no such ban.

“It’s time that we caught up with the rest of the nation,” one Florida lawmaker said.

Here, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment