Monday, June 22, 2009

Songs that say, it's summertime!

Certain songs say summer to me.

I save them, too, waiting for June 21 before playing them.

If "All Summer Long," by the Beach Boys pops up on my iPod, I skip to the next tune.

Same for "One Summer Dream," a haunting number by Electric Light Orchestra that appeals to my melancholy Irish spirit.

Another is "Tunnel of Love," by Bruce Springstreen, which conjures up images of the Jersey Shore, boardwalks and amusement rides with my sweetheart.

Then there are timeless classics -- "Summer Wind," by Frank Sinatra, and "Theme from a Summer Place," by The Lettermen -- that put you in the summer mood no matter the time of year.

Some rekindle fond memories of summers past.

"Moonlight Feels Right," by Starbuck.

"Hot Rod Hearts," by Robbie Dupree.

Some rekindle not so fond memories.

Like "Hot Fun in the Summertime," by Sly & The Family Stone when I had to go to summer school.

And "Summer in the City," by Lovin's Spoonful reminds me of working at the state park.

Then there's "Summertime Blues," by Eddie Cochran.

Alan Jackson and The Who did righteous turns at it, but have you ever heard Blue Cheer's heavy metal version?

Lastly, there's "Summertime, Summertime," by The Jamies.

It's summertime summertime sum sum summertime ...


Lyrics that will stay your mind and on your lips the whole day after hearing them.

A perfect summer song.

No comments:

Post a Comment