Monday, June 8, 2009

$ettlement brings unexpected 'riches'

Whoa! What's this?

Sifting through Monday's mail, I received a letter with a check attached.

My lucky day.

Heh, heh, heh.

It was addressed, "Dear Class Member," and wasn't a pitch for an alumni donation.

It was about the settlement of a class action suit between automotive buyers and an insurance company. The lawsuit revolved around loans being paid off early for which prepaid premiums were not refunded.

All of which was news to me.

It said $59,185,112.68 was owed to 241,000 insured folks, but only $26,929,173.78 was available for distribution.

Lawyers probably got the rest.

Whatever, the letter went on, "you are receiving a pro-rated refund that is 45.5 percent of the actual unearned premium due."

My take?

Ta-dah!

Try twenty-two cents.

The letter said either cash the check. Or, if I believe there's a mistake, mail it back.

Think I'll frame it.

I can use the laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment