Monday, September 30, 2013

Fire at Rod & Reel hits home for many of us

 
The two years I lived on Pine Avenue in the City of Anna Maria, my dining destinations were fairly regular.
Duffy's for a burger and a beer.
Bistro at Island's End for dinner.
The Rod & Reel for breakfast.
This was back in 1999-2001.
Since then Duffy's moved from its funky digs opposite Manatee Beach to its present more modern location.
The Bistro closed.
And now the Rod & Reel is out of action after Monday morning's fire.
Dang.
A one-alarm electrical fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage, according to the Bradenton Herald.
That's a serious chunk of change, especially for a "Mom & Pop" joint that's a throwback to Old Florida on the beach.
More than a decade ago, I'd usually ride my bike down to the Rod & Reel on Saturday or Sunday mornings.
It was close enough to the place I was renting, I could even walk.
Even during the season, I could always get a seat at one of its handful of tables in its cozy second-floor dining room.
Invariably, I'd linger after breakfast, too, enjoying another cup of coffee and read the newspaper.
I'd enjoy the view, too.
Or hang around the dock watching folks fishing on a lazy weekend morning.
No doubt there are countless folks who treasure and have treasured their time at the Rod & Reel all these years.
Pray those times will come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment