Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday morning meeting with a crane

Ever get stared down by a sandhill crane?
Didn't think so.
It happened to me Monday morning.
I was more than halfway through my thrice-weekly, hour-long walk, heading west along the north side of Tallevast Road when the staredown took place.
There the critter was, standing on the grass inside the sidewalk and looking right at me.
Not just looking, but taking a few long strides in my direction.
What was up with this?
I kept walking and thinking this critter -- a male sandhill crane I assume -- was acting like I'm invading its turf.
Turned out I was.
I glanced to my right and, lo and behold, there was another adult sandhill crane -- the mama --and beneath were two chicks scurrying along the grass.
So I hurried past the feathered family, giving them all the room they'd need.
As I drove to work a little while later, I looked over and the cranes and chicks were still there, grubbing in the grass.
Up ahead were an older couple heading east on their morning walk.
Watch out, folks, I said to myself as I drove on.

No comments:

Post a Comment