Monday, July 27, 2009

Sandy memories and a Philly cheese steak

A post card from a South Jersey vacation:
  • Watched kids under 10 years old play soccer in the evening on a stretch of beach in Surf City, N.J., where we used to stage our annual family football game. Then the nephews grew up and my brothers and I got old.

  • Spotted a worn University of Florida decal on an an SUV with Jersey plates down the shore.

  • My brother-in-law said he saw a list of 10 U.S. cities which are experiencing an economic rebound -- and the Sarasota-Bradenton area was among them. For real?

  • Went to Tony Luke's on East Oregon Avenue in South Philly for a cheese steak sandwich when another couple, seeing my tropical attire, said they were visiting from Sarasota.

  • Kept a close eye on the weather after that tropical system formed off Florida and worked its away north along the east coast before disappearing -- thank goodness!

  • Got used to 75 degrees and no humidity in mid-July. And if anyone dared complain about the weather, I just said, hey, I'll tell you about summer heat and humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment