Monday, May 4, 2009

A quick road trip back in time

Had a chance to return to my old stomping grounds in Boca Raton a few days ago.

The occasion was Lynn University's Hall of Fame athletic banquet, and yours truly gave the induction speech for Dr. Donald Ross, who retired in 2006 after 35 years at the school's helm.

Boy, did the memories come flying back.

I covered their sports program in its early years during my 19-year career with the Boca Raton News. The highlight was the Knights' 1987 men's national soccer championship.

Before my speech, Greg Malfitano, LU's senior vice president and an old pal, cautioned me.

"Remember most of our athletes weren't even born when that happened," he joked.

As if that didn't make me feel old enough, LU's president is Don's son, Kevin Ross.

I coached him in T-ball.

It was wonderful to visit with folks I hadn't seen since I left Boca in 1997 and be able to reconnect like it was just the other day.

Yet I could not get over is how drastically the city has changed.

It is far from the charming, sleepy, oceanside town I got to in 1978.

The commercial development was overwhelming.

Traffic was insane.

"You think this is bad?" Malfitano said. "You should see it during the season!"

It was a great trip, but after a couple of days I was ready to get back to Bradenton.

We took the scenic route, driving up the northeast side of Lake Okeechobee, stopping in Taylor Creek for gas.

When a big ol' pickup truck pulled out of the station, its radio was blaring Kenny Chesney's, "Out Last Night," and it made me smile.

I was halfway home.





No comments:

Post a Comment