Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Buy a carton of smokes on installment plan

More taxes. Less service.

Hmmm. Seems like we've heard that before.

This is the Florida Legislature's "historic" plan to balance the state budget -- raise taxes, fees, licenses and rates on anything they can to the tune of $2 billion.

"Reasonable and responsible for the times we are in," a House budget officer harrumphed.

Yeah, reasonable and responsible depending on who's taking the hit.

I'll get it as a homeowner and driver, but it looks like I'm off the hook in other areas on the Legislature's tax target list.
  • Citizens Property Insurance. As shaky as homeowners insurance is in this state, perhaps Citizens customers won't mind paying a bit more for the sake of having any kind of coverage and pray hurricane season goes away without harm.

  • Park goers will be paying more, too. Just when I was digging Myakka State Park.

  • Smokers may be forking over another $1 per pack. I don't smoke but have nothing against smokers, except when they're in front of me at the express checkout, the cashier has to go to the customer service counter for the customer's cigarettes, then finds out they wanted menthol and has to go back.

  • Sportsmen. I can hear the griping already, but you know the state will get its money. Folks hereabouts love to hunt and love to fish.

  • University students. That's a good one. We all know who's paying the freight here. Watch for a slew of new bumperstickers: "My Kid and Even MORE of My Money Go to FSU."

No comments:

Post a Comment