Monday, January 18, 2010

"Famous Kiwanis Corn Dogs" this way

The 15th annual Manatee County Fair Cheerleading Competition was over, but I wasn't ready to leave the fairgrounds just yet.

I was hungry.

There was the usual array of vendors offering every kind of delectable delight.

Sausage hogies. Pizza. Steak bits. You name it.

I wanted a corn dog.

Not any corn dog, mind you.

A Manatee Sunrise Kiwanis corn dog.

But I couldn't find that little white concrete stand they'd had for more than 40 years.

Turns out it was torn down along with the other renovations brought about this year.

So back and forth I went, searching the midway, tempted by the aroma of other fair foods.

I pressed on.

Finally, on my second or third loop through the north side of the fairgrounds, I saw a sign with an arrow pointing toward the right:

"Famous Kiwanis Corn Dogs"

Hurrah!

The good folks are mobile now, a vendor-on-wheels like everybody else at the fair.

Judge Durand Adams was doing the honors, dipping hot dogs into the club's secret batter.

Club president Steve Covey was telling folks to be sure to tell others about their new setup, not far from their old location opposite the Chaires Building for arts and crafts, and next to the Firkins Automotive Variety Stage.

Anyway, I was so hungry I wolfed down one corn dog, slathered with mustard.

"Good, isn't it?" the judge called out.

So good, I ordered another.

One for the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment