Friday, April 3, 2009

Getting psyched for United Way dunk tank

"You are SOOOOO going down."

Such was the sweet text from my girlfriend Sherri Manring's niece, Lauren Pierce, upon hearing I was going to be a participant in the United Way dunk tank organized by Marcus Francis of Manatee County's Parks & Recreation Department.

It's today through Sunday at the DeSoto Seafood Festival.

You can check out the schedule of dunkees at www.quickscores.com/manatee, including 'CTQ's Rafferty, a new addition on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. Visit http://www.1065ctq.com/

Anyway, I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next person, even if it's on me.

What's really amusing is the reaction of my girlfriend's family at the opportunity to dunk my skinny Irish behind for a good cause.

Want to gauge how other people really feel about you?

Volunteer for a dunk tank.

Team Manring cut out my picture from the Herald, taped it to a wall and began firing away. They missed a lot.

Yet they're determined, all right.

Sherri's parents, Sue and Jim, even put off their periodic junket to Biloxi, Miss., to have a crack at yours truly.

Sherri got me water wings.

Her sister, Chris, is having her taxes worked on Saturday. But she's going to ask CPA Carol Foster to speed it up a little for my 3 p.m. turn in the tank.

"I cannot miss the chance to dunk your sorry butt," Chris said.

Bring it on, rag arm.

2 comments:

  1. haha!
    well you ARE going down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Vin, I am on your side and will do what I can to protect you from Lauren. P.S. I had to give her $10 to spend on a United Way fundraiser at he Seafood Festival.
    ....Fred

    ReplyDelete